Tuesday, October 14, 2008

parlez-vous fat talk?


this week, october 13-17 is Fat Talk Free Week. that's right! NO FAT TALK. can you do it?

NO "oh my god, i'm so fat."

NO "oh my god, she's so fat."

NO "oh my god, what size are you?"

NO "oh my god, i'm doing The Zone/Atkins/Master Cleanse this week."

NO "oh my god, i haven't worked out this week. I feel HUGE."

you get the picture.

in junior high, if we'd tried this, my group of friends would have sat in silence for a full week. what else to discuss?

it's the sorority Tri-Delta that is responsible for introducing FTFW as well as for co-creating a wonderful body image intervention program called Reflections. i'm going to resist making a sorority girl joke because these women have done wonderful thing.

(what's a sorority girl's mating call? oh my god, i am SO DRUNK!)

turns out i couldn't resist. sorry.

check out this video, sign the pledge to abstain from Fat Talk and then forward the video to your friends. you can also sign up to receive a Daily Challenge every day this week. they also have this bold T-shirt for sale. i think i need it.

here's Monday's challenge:
Your Daily Challenge for October 13: The next time someone gives you a compliment, rather than objecting ("No, I'm so fat!"), practice taking a deep breath and saying, "Thank you."
i still struggle with that one. just ask The Cute. luckily, he gives me plenty of opportunities to practice.

( :

5 comments:

I Hate to Weight said...

I am a recovering bulimic/anorexic/compulsive eater and i can still be guilty of fat talk.while i rant all the time that weight should mean nothing -- its just a number on the scale, and we're tyrannized by it, i still get find myself making (the occasional) little comment. i think it has something to do with trying to fit in.

thank you for pointing this out and making me aware. i will abstain from fat talk! THANK YOU

hope505 said...

::answers phone::
..."Delta Delta Delta can I help ya help ya help ya?"

*tee hee!

Too late for me, I already "fat talked" this week
* : (

A good idea though, especially for college women.

Danielle Filas said...

As a teacher, I feel a special responsibility (note- I'm NOT 100% successful) to avoid Fatese around my students. Words have power.
Thanks for the reminder to keep it real this week (heck- forever?)
Am I allowed to just say, "I love food"? :D

Christie said...

I've lost 20 lbs. with more to go. I'm currently eating moderately low carb, and I have two daughters, ages 12 and 9. I try really hard to not talk about my size or pounds, but about how I feel and my health. It's important that girls/women know that our value doesn't lie in how we look. It's all about who we are. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting concept. I will try very hard not to talk about weight/dieting at all tomorrow. This will not be easy as I am currently obsessed with dieting and weight loss, so I will definitely be thinking about it.