Monday, June 13, 2005

changing toner



i was just asked to change the toner.

i am 30 years old.

it's fine, really.

it.

is.

my.

job.

to.

change.

toner.

it is my job to change toner.

god it hurts to write that.

i know that age is only a number, and that i am pursuing other things outside of this gray, dank world of toners, binder clips, and orange-scented (fresh!) screen wipes - a corporate incubator that fattens its employees by, i am convinced, conspiratorially placed candy dishes filled with jolly ranchers, mini hershey bars, and caramels that render its employees not only sugar-comatised and emotionally complacent, but literally physically unable to move from their ergonomically correct chairs.

ergonomics and office birthday cakes - two practices created by corporations to discourage employee turnover.

i'm being irrational. i don't care. it's either post irrationally, or irrationally binge on the contents of the aforementioned office candy dish, and that's just not an option.

i have places to go.

2 comments:

Karima said...

want my glamorous job? today I not only (really) changed the toner but I also took out the garbage. I am 36.

Anonymous said...

My mantra:

It.

Is.

My.

Day.

Job.

Really. I'm 43 and I've been a "temp" editor for five and a half years at the same nursing journal. As long as I keep creating elsewhere and otherwhen (at night, in the morning, while I'm supposed to be working at the day job), it remains The Day Job. Hang in there!!